Since we're all throwing new storage devices into the mix, they recently did a proof-of-concept for using DNA for storing data.

Makes sense to me, it's already a quartenary-based storage system, where each link in the storage chain already stores one of four different configurations.

http://www.physorg.com/news2434.html

"____The DNA <http://www.physorg.com/search/DNA> molecule--nature's premier data storage material--may hold the key for the information technology industry as it faces demands for more compact data processing and storage circuitry. A team led by Richard Kiehl, a professor of electrical engineering at the University of Minnesota, has used DNA's ability to assemble itself into predetermined patterns to construct a synthetic DNA scaffolding with regular, closely spaced docking sites that can direct the assembly of circuits for processing or storing data.____"

DNA already is a data processing hardware medium, complete with the chromosome supporting material that holds the DNA with the information, the symbolic language, the RNA that carries the instructions to the surrounding internal structures and sensing interfaces, and way much more.

--Alan