From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jon Paris
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 2:53 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Why do computers still have disk drives?

" Why can't the manufacturers just load about 200 GB of this solid state
memory into the machine?"

I'm not convinced that at this point in history that it would be faster.
It would certainly be much more expensive.

Using a file on my USB thumb drives is way slower than using a
comparable file on the hard drive.  How much of that is due to
differences in buffering/caching etc. I don't know.  I was under the
impression though that the raw access speed of flash memory was pretty
darned slow.

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com

This email is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only.  If you have
received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately and then
disclose, copy or distribute this email without the author's prior permission.
We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of transmitting software
viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own virus checks on any attachment
to this message.  We cannot accept liability for any loss or damage caused by
software viruses.  The information contained in this communication may be
confidential and may be subject to the attorney-client privilege. If you are
the intended recipient and you do not wish to receive similar electronic
messages from us in future then please respond to the sender to this effect.