Thanks for responding, Jeff and John.  See replies.

Jeff,

The entry from the joblog looks like this;

From module . . . . . . . . :   QSNERR
From procedure  . . . . . . :   SetErr
Statement . . . . . . . . . :   4
To module . . . . . . . . . :   QSNDEVQ
To procedure  . . . . . . . :   ASPGetCHRID_Def
Statement . . . . . . . . . :   1
Message . . . . :   Program contains commands only valid when run
 interactively.

John,

Yes, I have a PF with a member that has the script commands in it, and then
override the INPUT file to that PF.  The commands in the PF are as listed in
the original message.  I also override the OUTPUT file to a PF in my
library, and no entries are showing in the OUTPUT file on the batch job.
It's like it does not even get started.

Jim