From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Scott Klement
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 12:05 PM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Postscript OUTQ

Hi Dave,

I've got a copier that I'm trying to get set up to print
from our iSeries.
It prints fine from PC applications but I'm having
difficulty getting the
OUTQ set up correctly.  The print emulation says that it's
PostScript Level
3.

To me that sounds like the printer emulates PostScript, but
it isn't the
native language.  I wonder what the native language is?

The reason I ask that:  The System i (iSeries, AS/400,
whatever) has never
done a very good job of supporting PostScript.  It supports
it only as an
image transform, and it's rather inefficient to convert all of your
documents to images!

However, if the copier supports PCL, you could set up host
print transform
to convert to PCL and you'd be good to go.

We have a Ricoh photocopier here that supports PCL natively
and PostScript
Level 3 emulation.  Although many of our PC applications send
PostScript
to it, and all of our Unix applications send PostScript, the
iSeries ones
use PCL and it works nicely.

I've also written RPG programs that output PostScript to a *USERASCII
spooled file, so the system doesn't have to understand the PostScript
itself, the program generates it...   that also works nicely
and gives you
a level of flexibility that you wouldn't have with native
iSeries (AFP
converted to PCL) stuff.

   I've done my fair share of work with printers but haven't
really had
the need to do anything with PostScript.  Can anybody suggest an
appropriate device or other configuration options?  Thanks.

If you can't figure it out from your copier's documentation,
you might try
looking at IBM's site. It shows lots of printer manufacturers and the
appropriate configurations:
http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=nas1b44a2cf4ba778
d83862568250053649f

Here's a shorter link:
http://tinyurl.com/jx4bt
--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion