On 10/3/06, Sivakumar Kanagavel <srkas400@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for your reply. The Intresting part is the same code ran fine
before we converted into I5/95 v5r3.

I imagine that someone had changed the QTAPE object to specify a device, and
that change was lost when the upgrade happened.  This is one reason why
making changes to IBM-supplied objects is not a good practice.

 One another thing puzzles me is if a message prompts asking for the the
tape device to be mentioned and if operators reply with a device name, it
defaults to '*N'.
  I am confused as it should take the repply as TAPE01, TAPE02 or whatever
to TODEV. Can someone pls clarify why the system defaults to '*N"?.

I don't totally follow the question, so my reply may be totally off.  The
command you specify doesn't throw a message and get a reply.  If there are
commands earlier in the program that prompt for the tape device, there is a
logic problem in that code, which may have been masked by the QTAPE device
hard-code.

I also don't see *N as a promptable option on my V5R3 system.  TODEV(*N) is
simply ignored.