  Buck,
  Thanks for the info!! That was one I didn?t know [OVRPRTF CTLCHAR(*FCFC)].
The only problem with that approach is that some of printer files here do vary
their CPI and/or LPI, depending on the format. Good one, though.
  Trevor: That would work, but if I use any of the SNDxxxxxx commands it would
be easier to specify the OUTQ the spool file goes to.
  Kenneth: SNA? It was the first thing I thought of (being, as SNA, somewhat of
a dinosaur myself) but, if I can avoid it, I would prefer not having to
configure it on our new 520 (and not all of our users have a directory entry).
Also, I believe the SNDTCPSPLF command should be a little faster.
  Tom: Thanks for the link. As soon as I do have our new 520 I will try some of
the utilities.

  Thanks to all. I think I?ll go the SNDTCPSPLF route, although if I had my say
I would convert all those spool files to PDFs, burn into a CD and delete them
from the system. Our users seem have an enormous fondness for old spool files.

  Regards,
  Luis Rodriguez

message: 3
date: Mon, 02 Oct 2006 17:25:29 -0400
from: Buck
subject: Re: Saving and restoring spool files V4R5->V5R3

Thanks for your answer. When I try to use the CPYSPLF method suggested
(*FCFC) the
file gets written to the spool but without the proper spacing
and/or pagination. Maybe I'm missing something...

*FCFC means First Character Forms Control.  Those bytes hold the
space/skip information.  You need to make the PF 2 bytes (I think it's
2!) longer than the spooled file.  When you CPYF it back, do OVRPRTF
QSYSPRT CTLCHAR(*FCFC) and the spacing/skipping will be in new spooled
file.  You can test that on one system.
   --buck

Luis Rodriguez

IBM Certified Systems Expert