I get lots of education from the five and take on questions other people ask, then I dig into our system to correlate further. Couple questions of clarification for me:

(a) Entries in the Audit Journal are not neccessarily a problem, rather they show unusual events that we probably ought to be aware of ... e.g. Hacker tried to get in but failed.

(b) Tools to make it easier to evaluate the data ... we need to study the manuals, a lot, explore what we can get out of various commands, then after we get comfortable using whatever we learned, study the manuals again, a lot.

I had originally started Security Auditing on our system because of conflicting stories regarding alleged BPCS Security Holes. Now, thanks to various new owners, managers mandates, there are more areas where we somewhat discomforted. Also some weird stuff intermittent, desire more info in context when it happens.

Al Mac
long time Jack of many 400 areas, Guru Master of not nearly enough

Patrick wrote:
Chad,

The best way to find what auditing values are causing a particular entry is
in the Security Reference manual in the info center.  Expend Security and
this manual can be selected. You can download the PDF or view it on line.
On line viewing is pretty fast.

Chapter 9 has the information you want.  Just select that chapter from the
bookmarks after you display it and scroll down.  There are several tables.
Because GR records can be cut due to several different Action and Object
auditing settings, there is more than one of these values that may cause an
entry (depending on the TYPE field in the GR record).  Just look for "GR"
in the second column of the table that starts on page 241 (the V5R4 version
of the manual) and spans several pages.   You'll find GR several times.

I don't remember what I saw on the detailed entry that was posted to the
forum, but I suspect that the entry was cut because someone tried to add,
remove, or change the exit point program associated with the FTP exit point
named in the GR record.  This could be caused by at least one of the
security related action auditing values or by turning object auditing on
for the
"QUSRSYS/QUSEXRGOBJ *EXITRG object "  The info in the table should give you
an idea of what to look for.

Correction-----
Upon further review, the "aside" in my previous post has been overturned!
After investigating more details on Chad's question, I realized that the GR
entries are NOT the ones we created for handling the development process
problems (blush).  Entries starting with "X" were created for this reason.
So you were all witnesses to the second mistake I have ever made.  It looks
like it may be snowballing on me :-)

Patrick Botz
Senior Technical Staff Member
IBM Lab Services, Rochester
Security Architecture & Consulting, i5/OS Security Architect
(507) 253-0917, T/L 553-0917
CTC Fax # 507-253-2070
email: botz@xxxxxxxxxx

For more information on CTC, visit our website at
http://www.ibm.com/eserver/services
http://www.ibm.com/servers/eserver/services