From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 11:45 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Audit Journal Entry

What we are looking at doing is setting up a very simple audit journal
to satisfy some basic requests from our auditors.  We're looking to keep
it very low impact in terms of DASD so that we can basically keep one
receiver in place for a LONG time without having to change receivers and
take them to offline media.  What i'm finding is that any actual entries
of interest (system config changes, authority failures, profile changes,
security tools, etc.) are very few and far between.  This box runs
Mimix, Domino, and Websphere and all of these three tend to produce a
bunch of journal entries with the operations they perform (that will
cause the receivers to fill and grow to quickly).  I've been able to
filter them out by removing certain QAUDLVL entries (mainly under the
*SECURITY subsets).

The remaining one i'm seeing is the T-GR type entry that is exit
program/FTP related.  If I can get around that one i'll have exactly
what we're looking for!

             "Turnidge, Dave"

             <DTurnidge@OldRep

             ublicTitle.com>
             Sent by:                  "Midrange Systems Technical

             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion"

             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

cc

             09/26/2006 11:02
Subject
             AM                        RE: Audit Journal Entry

             Please respond to

             Midrange Systems

                 Technical

                Discussion

             <midrange-l@midra

                 nge.com>

From Carol Woodbury's "Expert's Guide to OS/400 and i5/OS Security"

Recommended values:
*AUTFAIL
*CREATE
*DELETE
*SAVRST
*SECURITY or instead for v5r3 and on...
             *SECCFG and *SECRUN
*SERVICE

Do you have a need to have the other ones that you have chosen? Do you
not need the others that are recommended?

-------------------------------------
I'm trying to filter some of the items out of the security audit journal
that we are not interested in having a record of.  Does anyone know how
to prevent the specific type of entry listed below?

7314213   T     GR                           QTFTP00366  14:41:04
7314214   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51
7314215   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51
7314216   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51
7314217   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51
7314218   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51
7314219   T     GR                           QTFTP00517  15:09:51

The manual says that it has to do with an exit program (which is used in
conjunction with FTP on our box).  I can't figure out which entries in
the QAUDLVL system value are causing these entries to be written.  We
currently have the following ones turned on:

 *AUTFAIL
 *SECCFG
 *SECDIRSRV
 *SECVLDL
 *SERVICE
 *SYSMGT
 *PGMADP

_____

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by
MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com