Don wrote:
  10. RE: Verifying Existence of a File on a Server (Fisher, Don)

I was afraid of that. There's no way I'm going to ask my overworked system administrator to ensure everybody that can use this function has an i.d. on the Windows server. I guess I'll examine datalink fields and f.t.p. some more.
Don:

Just some general summary comments...

Create a procedure that gets a profile handle for the current user, swaps to a specific profile, does the check, and then swaps back to the current user. You'll only need a single profile match between your Windows server and your iSeries that way. (I see that Scott has already taken this discussion in this direction.)

For the QSYGETPH API: If this proc is in a USRPRF(*OWNER) program and the owner has *USE authority to both current user and the target user profiles, you can use *NOPWD. If the program owner is powerful enough, i.e., has *ALLOBJ and *SECADM, you can use *NOPWDCHK. And for the current user, all you need do is use *CURRENT to get a profile handle in any case. Note that you should get the _current_ user's profile token and stash it away as the first thing you do; this lets you use special values such as *CURRENT. After you switch, it'll be a different current user. (As of V5R3, there is also the Get Profile Handle No Password (QsyGetProfileHandleNoPwd) API.)

Similar comments apply to the Get Profile Handle (QsyGetProfileHandle) API.

Be aware that 'interesting' problems _can_ crop up if you must cross multiple Windows domains -- even if you choose NFS over QNTC. (And you might need some significant Windows networking expertise on hand to resolve them.)

Also be aware that single-signon might bring a bit of confusion. Consider that you _might_ get yourself into a situation where your current user has no iSeries password. As desirable as that might be, it can be confusing. <vendor-related-comment> Give us a call if assistance is needed. </vendor-related-comment>

Tom Liotta

<clip>
I believe you are mistaken.

The user ID / password of the iSeries user running the command is
automatically passed when the QNTC file system is accessed.

Basically, to use QNTC at all you must have a Windows user ID and
password that matches the iSeries use ID and password.