Mike,

At a prior job, I started using http://www.maxemail.com .

The biggest benefit to using such email to fax services is cost &
performance.

In my case, we were sending out order confirmations to our customers.
So we wanted to get the fax into the customer's hands ASAP.  But this
meant that most of the 200 or so faxes we sent out a day would be
generated between 4pm and 6pm.  In order to meet our time requirements,
we would have needed considerable additional fax hardware/software and
phone lines most of which would have been idle the other 22 hours in the
day.

In contrast, it took nothing extra to generate 200 or so emails over the
course of 2 hours.

When we went live with the program, we heard from many customers who
mentioned that by the time they turned around from sending the order,
the confirmation was already coming in via fax.

As far as confirmation that the fax was sent, at least with MaxEmail
above, I know that we'd get an email back if the fax failed to send
after a set number of tries.

Additionally, as an added benefit, since we were sending out the
confirmations by email anyway it was no problem to send the
confirmations by email directly to those customers who preferred email
over a faxed document.

HTH,

Charles Wilt
Mitsubishi Electric Automotive America