I know this might come as shock to you but this customer
has NO internet connection. I'm trying to convince them of
the value but they seem to do quite well without it.

It's not a "myth"... All "Express" 520's come with a twinax
controller. They also come with two ethernet adapters.

You can order "others" but twinax is the default
out of the box.(The config can be changed at order time)

Visit the "Sales Manual" and look up  9405-520.

*********** copied from Sales Manual ************

IBM System i 520 Express Configurations Overview

The 9405 model 520 Express Configurations are tailored
specifically to small and medium-sized enterprises and
are available in several configurations/offerings.

They are 1-way servers based on POWER5 and advanced
POWER5 technology. All 9405 520 offerings/configurations
include hardware and i5/OS.

These attractively priced servers include:

    * i5/OS
    * 70 to 140GB of disk
    * 1 to 4GB of memory
    * 30GB QIC tape drive
    * DVD-ROM drive
    * Twinax, LAN, and communication ports
    * Specified software licenses
    * RAID configurations

The 9405 model 520 Express Configuration is a 1-way server
based on IBM POWER5 technology. Each 520 system unit has:

    * Eight memory slots
    * Six PCI-X slots
    * Eight disk slots (four optionally enabled)
    * One half-high slot for tape devices
    * Two slimline slots for DVD drives

Optionally, the other four disk slots can be enabled in the system unit:

    * Two 1Gbps/100Mbps/10Mbps Ethernet LAN ports
    * Two HSL-2/RIO-G ports (for one HSL/RIO loop)
    * Two SPCN ports
    * Two serial ports
    * Two HMC ports
    * Two USB ports

i5/OS V5R3 and V5R4 support the use of all of the
preceding hardware elements except one slimline slot,
two serial ports, and two USB ports. These components
are reserved for other operating systems running on
the 520.

i5 520 Express Configurations that implement partitioning
require an IBM 7310 Hardware Management Console (HMC) if
they include:

    * Multiple i5/OS partitions
    * AIX partitions
    * Linux partitions that require more function than
      provided by i5/OS virtual partition manager.

The HMC is not required for a partition to run, but it
is required for the server to create, define, and change
an HMC-created partition. An HMC can also serve as an
i5/OS system console.

Multiple partitions and multiple POWER5/advanced POWER5
processor-based servers can be supported by an HMC,
located locally or remotely attached to the System
i5 solution.

System i5 520 Express Configurations are available only
as deskside servers at initial order. They can later be
converted to a rack-mount configuration, or additional
features can be added by chargeable MES orders.

Configurations are shipped from IBM with a twinaxial
workstation controller and the system console specification
as a twinaxial workstation.

rob@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Instead of ponying up the money for a modem, dial up connections, etc - why not use the internet? Do they already have internet access for email, etc? Then hook up via that way. Unlike the myth of a system "coming with twinax as a standard" they do come with ethernet.