   Thanks for the rapid education you provided me into FTP basics, navigating
   the options, and your offers of additional assistance.

   Friday night I got confirmation of successful transmission of the data
   they wanted, thanks to Jonathan's great guidance

   Without using the log file, I had no way of knowing if it was working, or
   where exactly it was having what problems, significance of some weird
   error messages in WRKPRB and DSPLOG.

   Until I was happy with the results, I did several transmission attempts
   with the same work file.  I do not yet know if what I sending replaces
   previous effort, or if it appends transmitted records to previous effort
   on target 400.

   I found when I was on the FTP sub-command line, that keying HELP or keying
   ? mark, took me to different areas of the documentation.  I delved into
   many nooks and crannies of both, including getting a print-out overview of
   FTP Client Subcomands, grouped by task, thanks to Vernon and other clues
   providers.

   Now that I have got this working, I need to polish overall software
   interface so end users, without any hassle, can recreate the work file,
   and FTP send it, and the process message me to check the log file to make
   sure it went to a proper conclusion, then I can clear it.  I may also
   tinker with job streams of what they do to create records that belong in
   the transmission, to let me know more exist, since one alternative is for
   me to just send the thing on a regular basis, with less load on the end
   users, so that approach would ensure I am aware when the need arises to do
   another transmission.

   Sometimes I have message traffic like this go to a dummy message queue, so
   that people can collectively manage a work area without the software
   having to be updated so much when there is employee and duties turnover
   (who doing what).  One message queue for when some intermittent stuff got
   updated, another for glitch history in a particular application.

   Although the company has not yet told me officially, I have my suspicions
   that they will later be wanting other kinds of content transmitted the
   same way, and I can see a potential application for us to receive data
   this way.

   -
   Al Macintyre
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:AlMac