From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jonathan Mason
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 3:02 AM
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion'
Subject: RE: FTP Trainee

Hi Al

If you're initiating FTP from your end then they will need to have the
FTP
server running at their end.  If you know the IP address of their FTP
server
then you don't need to know their system name or URL, but the rest of
your
list is correct.

To automate FTP you should create a source member on your box.  I like
create two source files, QFTPSRC and QFTPLOG.  In QFTPSRC create a
member
that looks like this:

   userID password
   namefmt 0
   bin
   put yourlib/yourfile theirlib/theirfile
   quit

The first line of the script passes the User ID and password to their
system
to log on with.
The "namefmt 0" tells the server that you want to use standard naming
conventions, e.g. "lib/file.mbr"
The "bin" tells the server that you're transmitting a binary image, as
opposed to ascii which transmits text and would be used for
transferring,
say, source members to a PC.
"Put" transmits the file and "quit" quits.

In your CL you would have the lines:

   OVRDBF INPUT TOFILE(QFTPSRC/member)
   OVRDBF OUTPUT TOFILE(QFTPLOG/member)
   FTP 'xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx'

To run the script.  When the script finishes, source member
QFTPLOG/member
would hold the results of the transmission.  You can check for errors by
reading through the generated log, any return codes beginning 4xx or 5xx
indicate an error.

As an alternative to using an FTP script, Scott Klement has an FTP API
available on his site (www.scottklement.com) which allows you to FTP on
the
fly from you RPG program.

All the best