Well actually we are running z/OS 1.4.  It's not that the mainframe OS
is that out of date, it's just the main appliations are COBOL and
VSAM.  I just wanted to point out that it wasn't a DB2 instance.

We do have a SOAP/XML web service that presents this service but I'm
not real happy with it.  I didn't set it up but it seems incrediably
clunky and doesn't perform real well.  It seems converting a COBOL
copy book to an XML schema and vice versa is something short of
voodoo.  They (the programmers) are using Websphere Dev. Toolkit and
the like.  It seems that they are having some difficulties when
converting.

Getting back to an earlier response about response time.  I believe it
has to be a reasonable interactive response.  I think 4 or 5 second
and below.   I believe the end users only go on this screen once when
creating a new customer so the delay, I believe, would be acceptable.

I saw an earlier post when someone mentioned DDM.  I think SMS on the
Mainframe hadles DDM connections.  That gets the data there, I just
have to envoke the program.

Oh, and CICS/400 isn't an option (if they even sell it any more)

Well, I was just wondering if someone had an implementation they were
using.  I gotta go to Staples to get more Duct tape and paper clips...

Mike.

from: "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: RE: iSeries (V5R3) calling a CICS program

It sounds as if part of your problem may be that even if you identify
software or methods that can help you do this, your mainframe OS
may be so
out-of-date that it can't support it.  For example I notice that
SHARE has
(had?) a TCP/IP sockets project for CICS on MVS - but what release
etc. is
required I don't know.

There also seem to be a couple of MQ open-source offerings which
should"talk" to CICS.

What OS and level is the mainframe running?

Jon Paris
Partner400

www.Partner400.com

------------------------------

message: 10
date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 17:07:30 -0400
from: Pat Barber <mboceanside@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Printing images from the /400

I think you will end up with a "kludge" by not
using IPDS printers. IPDS is a hardware function
supported by the AFP print stream. The cheaper
printers will be a real struggle to make work and
I really doubt that you can make it work except in
a very limited fashion.

A production printing job to a cheap networked
printer is going to be very limited in function
and very slow.

HPT was "never" designed to do the more advanced
functions, only provide decent *SCS printing to
the cheaper printers that are widely installed.

http://www-
1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?
uid=nas1703a416b5654a5988625695700569cc7&rs=110

http://www.printers.ibm.com/internet/wwsites.nsf/vwwebpublished/ipserve
rhome_i_ww

You will almost certainly have to buy a product to do this
project.(cheap or not)

Web-based images made iSeries-compatible
Web and client applications typically use GIF, TIFF and JPEG image
file
formats where the iSeries uses AFP image file format. In many
applications, there is a need to bridge these format differences
and
enable use of Web and client image in iSeries output applications.
Infoprint Server addresses this need in two ways: it supports the
new
iSeries capability of embedding Web image formats directly into
iSeries
documents, and it provides batch transforms to convert GIF, TIFF
and
JPEG to iSeries format.

mlazarus@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Pat,

 There are some good references in there.

 Realistically, going with *IPDS printers is not an option.  It
needs to
work on the (much) cheaper HP type printers, so that remote
offices can
print their own

 Can this be done with just PSF/400 and not InfoPrint Server?
Or is IPS
part of PSF?  Do you know approximately how much PSF/400 costs
for a
570-7489?

 Even with PSF/400, what would the process be to output EBCDIC
text, output
TIFF image, output more text, etc?  Is there an API that would
be called to
import and then output the image?

 -mark