From: "Ingvaldson, Scott" <SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Friday, July 28, 2006 8:46:18 AM
Subject: i5 vs. p5

Seriously what's the difference?  Can anyone definitively say that you
can't (or can) load i5/OS on any 5xx model p5 or load AIX on any 5xx
series i5?

I took a plant tour at IBM Rochester yesterday and the tour guide
specifically said that there was no way to tell an i5 from a p5 until
the cover was put on.  Later I asked one of the engineers and she said
that other than licensing and support issues she didn't know why it
wouldn't work.

A thread earlier this week suggested that i5/OS could only run on p5 in
a "limited fashion" and it would cost "a GAZILLION dollars."   Does
anyone really know?

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator