Surely all that is down to design. If you have a message relating to
warehousing you wouldn't put it in a message file in the AR library would you?
You could say the same if you have two files and you chain to one it doesn't go
looking in the library list to see if the record you want may be in another
version of the file.

*MSGF is good at what it is designed to do, displaying messages for whatever
you wish to display a message for.

JMHO for what its worth.

Steve

Also MSGF* does not seem to have the usual *LIBL rules.
Suppose I have two similar MSGF* in *LIBL and let's suppose message 1234 is
in the first but not second object it gets to in *LIBL ... OS/400 gets to
the first MSGF* does not find message 1234 and stops, does not go looking
in any later MSGF* in the *LIBL.

I not complaining about what it does, only that it seems intuitively
different from other *LIBL functionality.

If IBM ever does make improvements to MSGF* I hope and pray they are
backward compatible, because if we ever had to alter source code to be
compatible with some new version, it could be a nightmare.  This stuff's
usage is systemic in some apps.

Al Mac