And I think Kat's reply says why your contractor said nothing.  Many
contractors may still be thinking they're working on an AS/400 and not an
iSeries and are limited in their skill set to applications that are
"traditionally" associated with AS/400's.  I tend to think of an iSeries
like the old Ragu spagetti sauce ad "It's in there!"  ...Rob Berendt

..I agree with Rob. I've got another thread going on the RPG-L list trying to
validate the user portion of emails (the @.. hard-coded per specs) against a
local network Windows server (actually a bunch of them all accessed with one
"server-name"). The server is NOT resident on the i5.

I know it's going to be really simple on the other side of the learning curve,
but the benefits are already here.

Lots of contractors and programmers on our i5 unfortunately don't mind lagging
back, sometimes way back, in terms of what this system can do. I told the VB
guy I'm working with that we could do all that stuff with programming right on
the i5 system and he was "Oh, yeah?" like "Oh really?"

--Alan