I agree with Chris... the 17s are fine even for V5R4.

While I haven't tested this on a system for quite sometime... The AS/400s
could find a loadsource and IPL from almost anywhere the system. With the
i5s they are pretty insistent that the loadsouce goes into P3. With that
said, I've always put the loadsource in its proper position as not to
confuse me or someone else after me trying to fix/upgrade the system.

Like Chris I would use the STRASPBAL *ENDALC cmd to tell the system not to
put any new data on drive you select to remove. Then use the STRASPBAL
*MOVDTA to have the system concurrently migrate as much data of the
selected drives as possible. NOTE: This can cause a  hit on performance,
so don't do this when the system is really busy.
_____________________
Kirk Goins CCNA
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified i5 Solution Sales
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-business Solutions
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.manageinc.com

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

Shaun Pearson <Shaun.Pearson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
06/16/2006 07:30 AM
Please respond to

midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
Disk reconfiguration for upgrade

Any advice please

We are looking to upgrade OS on our 270 (currently V5R2)

We believe we need a larger disk for our load source in order to do this,
and are looking at moving to 17.5gb or 35gb disk drives.

Our current disk config is as follows :

Parity Set 1
4 * 6.4gb 6717

Parity Set 2
8 * 7.5gb 6717 (including load source)

Physically we  have 2 * 6 slot units. Both currently full.
The first unit contains 4 drives from Parity Set 2 (including the load
source) and 2 from Parity set 1
The second unit contains 4 drives from Parity Set 2 and 2 from Parity set
1

Current disk usage is 57%

Is it possible, by some combination of removing existing drives, switching

off parity, adding the new larger drives, to move load source to the
larger disks whilst avoiding full restore ?