Because Windows is a total (expletive deleted)-up!

Now, they COULD put in on a intel hardware base or they COULD put it on a smaller Power hardware( notebook, small tower...), but on Windows??

At 02:22 PM 6/1/2006 +0100, you wrote:
Why not go the whole way and make OS/400 run on a Windows Server?

-----Original Message-----
From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steve Richter
Sent: 01 June 2006 14:03
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: Re: Prometheus

On 5/31/06, Larry Bolhuis <lbolhuis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I will cut to the conclusion and say the answer is to have i5/os as
> > a supported OS on the p5 and do away with i5 hardware models, i5
> > only business partners, a lot of i5 marketing. <snip>
> To steal a line from Red October "You arrogant ass, you've killed US!"

or South Park ...  those bastards, they killed i5 hardware!!!

> That is, kill all your i5 partners and you've killed the System i.
> Many of us (yes I am one of them) don't do p for a reason: we believe
in i.

... and i5/OS does not run on p5.

> Better instead to put more arrows in our quiver. With the hardware
> essentially identical already why not let us sell more models?
>
> > There are not many published numbers to know for sure, but I dont
> > agree the p5 is a low profit item for IBM.  The $4000 for the lowest

> > price p5 is still $4000. AIX, Linux and software subscription are in

> > the $1000 range. DB2 brings in a good profit at $724 for the first
> > user, $124 for additional users or $4874 per processor. Double those

> > charges for DB2 on the enterprise ( bigger than 2 cores ) models.
> >
> Software monies go other places within IBM. $4000 for a small p cannot

> possibly make them significant margins and likely is a loss.

Cant make a profit on a $10K mix of hardware and software? i5 IBM is
looking more and more like General Motors. A lot of high cost legacy
interests looking to make it to retirement before the whole thing
implodes.

-Steve