FYI;

We came across a "Gotcha" yesterday after our upgrade to V5R4.  We have
images stored in the IFS  file system QDLS from IBM Content Manager (5722VI1
IBM Content Manager for iSeries).  We also have them on optical platters.
We have to use the QDLS as the scanning station uses OS/2 as the operating
system.

Thread safe warning in the Memo to Users mentions that QDLS might be
impacted. QDLS was broken so that users could not view images.  A call to
IBM fixed the problem.  Stopping a prestart NETSERVER job named QZLSFILET
and changing the subsystem to never start it again fixed the problem.

Be aware that if you get to the QDLS file system for whatever reason
(documents, images etc) you might have problems that look like security, but
they are not related to access security.

Here is the Memo to Users entry;

3.48 iSeries NetServer changes affecting thread behavior

A Microsoft Windows file-serving client (such as Microsoft Windows operating
systems, Linux/Samba, or the iSeries QNTC file system) that accesses a
non-threadsafe file system using the iSeries NetServer might receive access
denied type errors.

As of V5R4, iSeries NetServer services file shares in a multithreaded job by
default. The threaded activity for all sessions in a subsystem runs in the
pool of threads in the QZLSFILET job for that subsystem.

A client that is running in a threaded environment will receive access-denied
type errors when it attempts to access a non-threadsafe file system (such as
QDLS, QNetWare, or QSYS.LIB access of save files); similarly, the client
will also receive errors when attempting to map a drive to a non-threadsafe
file system. For a listing of file systems that are not threadsafe, see
"File system considerations for multithreaded programming" in the
Multithreaded applications topic in the iSeries Information Center.