just completed a v5r2 to v5r4 upgrade.
Not too bad. low end Model 800 35 gig disk, twinax console (only twinax left)
Was at 64% and went to 86% - not totally unexpected and they are now weeding
out old stuff.
Did find some mapped drives were storing music files....

It's a pain to work a conversion from a laptop on the Info Center website.
Did the prebuild of the time zone data area & that worked well.
Did the step to allocate space - that took it from 64% to 71%

Did the pre upgrade ptf's - info center said "maybe an ipl...." - well
1st pass 2 ptfs did not apply, and text said the mfxxxx had to be perm apply
for the other
to apply - set the mf to perm apply, ipl'd and when done both had applied ok.

All the pre conversion stuff took 3 hours to get thru, going from web page to
system console
and multiple ipls. (console & system in a glass cubicle with no network cable
for the laptop...
Release upgrade took 5 hours. with 3 hours spent on first few cd's, then it
sucked in remaining.

Did find BP or IBM failed to ship product that were in existing system - Crypto
Acc Provider
but they are not using.

My one big problem - applied cume after release loaded, before inzsys as Info
Center advised.
1st cd went in fine, 2nd cd went in, and looked like in a loop - flurry of
activity, cd rom light not on, screen not showing next cd was in... over & over
(10 minutes....) so i opened cd drive, closed again...
and it worked. Did same to 3rd cd and 4th. but not after that..

Was starting to upgrade clients to new iSeries Access V5R4, but 2nd pc started
freezing up so we stopped. Its a new high poweered HP laptop, and I seem to
remember a prev thread about connection problems. Will investigate later.

jim franz