OK Here's the deal Facing the front of that thing with the cover off there are four spaces for 'stuff' beneath the control panel., two spaces over two spaces. They are behind a perforated metal grid about 4 inches wide and 18 inches tall or so. Two screws (7mm heads) hold it in place as I recall.

Once you see those things you will see that one (or two) of the spaces have holes in them for airflow. These are the power supplies. There will also be one (or two) with no or very few holes in them. These are the batteries in question. Personally I would not pull those batteries without the frame being powered off but it's your computer :-)

Those battery boxes are one of two styles depending on age. The older ones are riveted closed and you'll have to drill them open. The batteries however are readily obtained from Batteries Plus etc and are 7AH 12 volt units. Two per box. The newer units have the same batteries but the packaging is different so that you can separate the battery piece from the battery charger piece. You will still have to drill rivets out to get the batteries out.

Chances are these batteries are *REALLYOLD and have died. You could run without them and I'm not sure what the risk is. However eventually they will split open and leak. This would be bad.

So I would check out the number of battery boxes in your machine and get yer'self some batteries!

- Larry

James H H Lampert wrote:
And just out of curiosity: I'm not entirely sure what's in the expansion cabinet. There is what appears to be a battery, in its expected slot; the only active cards in the "front" card cage are a couple of 2676s. What's a 2676?

--
JHHL