I have read all of Joe's posts (maybe not all but most), on the subject and I have to admit that at least 2 of his posts on this specific subject got me even more into the goal of finding a real world example of the concept. Such an exciting concept must have a real world RPG implementation and my post in here was an attempt to find such a "holy grail".

I seem to remember Joe setting up a website to discuss various aspects of the iSeries (application design and performance, etc...), but unfortunately, I have lost the address of the site. So, Joe, if you read this, please let me know how I can join the group you set-up.

As I mentioned in my original post, there have been a few discussions in here already, but unfortunately, none of them ended up in reaching any sort of global approval or agreement from the community. Maybe the reason behind it is that the subject is too vast and therefore not easy to pinpoint in a mailing list discussion and perhaps we should try to get down to a much simpler example. What about if we were to try to apply the concept to a file maintenance involving a standard subfile to display information, a subfile to confirm deletion, all the usual options to change/copy/display or add a record and the possibility to print part or all of this file in a batch job? It is indeed rather restrictive compared to the original idea/concept, but it should at least open the doors to some interesting technical debates and maybe an opportunity to find a consensus?

I might be a bit too optimistic here, but it appears that having another debate on the subject would not go amiss and might finally bring a generally accepted way of designing new RPG applications.

G4!

Booth Martin wrote:

Joe Pluta.  Think Joe Pluta.  Look up his stuff.

Geeky400 wrote:
Good afternoon,

There have been a few discussions in here and a fair few publications where application design and architecture has been discussed. I am now wondering whether the concepts have been proven and put into real life applications.

From what I could gather by google-ing around, searching the midrange.com archives, reading IBM publications, redbooks and white papers, I can only find utlra simplistic RPG examples which cannot be extended to a standard business application.

This is why I am wondering whether the 4-tier RPG application architecture is just a concept or if it has been successfully implemented.

Any feedback would be appreciated

G4!

___________________________________________________________ Switch an email account to Yahoo! Mail, you could win FIFA World Cup tickets. http://uk.mail.yahoo.com