I'm not too sure that a comprehensive discussion on design & architecture
has really occurred.  Lots of teasers, but not a lot of meat and potatoes...
It's my opinion that choice of architecture is mostly influenced by the
choice of tools that are available to the application designer and/or
developer.

IBM is steering the iSeries into SOA, which gives us a LOT of flexibility in
terms of deployment.  I don't know as much about SOA as I'd like...  I
believe that well designed ILE applications can easily be deployed via SOA
to extend the reach of our applications.  I also believe that most iSeries
software is poorly designed for deployment via SOA.  As I recall, there were
some useful discussions of MVC (Model-View-Controller) designs that are
probably on target for this topic.  Careful design of the underlying APIs
(ie, remove pop-up screens, error handling, etc.)

I hesitate to say much more, since I'm testing these waters too...  I still
have too much to learn, and nobody to guide...  I'll find any discussion on
these topics helpful.

Eric DeLong
Sally Beauty Company
MIS-Project Manager (BSG)