Without wanting to sound as if I am completely negative, I could not
disagree with you more.  I am of course only looking at this from the
perspective of our industry, and more time is wasted playing with the g-d
forsaken mouse and clicking on buttons than anything else I have ever seen.

Will all due respect, there's absolutely no reason that a GUI application can't be keyboard controlled. No GUI application that's even halfway well written requires a mouse.

GUI can do every single thing that a green screen application can do. And it can do it in exactly the same way, if you want it to.

Saying that GUIs are bad because of the mouse is like saying that 5250 is bad because of the need for a field+ and field- key. In both cases, you can design your applications so that they aren't required.

But it ALSO adds additional capabilities (by the score!) that green screen cannot do.

There are loads of productivity killers in green screen applications. For example, what happens if the cursor is positioned on a spot on the screen where no input fields exist? When the operator types, where do the keystrokes go? A GUI can prevent this type of mistake.

When you type data into a field in a GUI you can have the program immediately validate the field and print information on the screen without stopping the operator who is keying. For example, after keying in an insurance group number, it can automatically print the name of that group on the screen, or report an error, without the user having to press enter or stopping their typing. This way, without pause, the typist can verify that he/she typed the correct group number. It ENHANCES productivity for data entry.

I'm tired of the "green screen is better for heads down data entry" excuse that people keep using. You may have had some bad experiences with software where the user interface wasn't well-designed for heads down data entry, but that's certainly not because 5250 is "better."

The advantage to 5250 applications is that you already know how to write them, and that you can write them extremely quickly. Their very lightweight, and they work very well over a slow network or communications link.

But these advantages aren't good enough for your major, important applications. When users sit in front of a computer all day long every day, we should give them the most productive, easiest to use, least error prone system that we can. And there's no question that this will be a GUI interface.