ok..  thanks jerry and michael
  Delete the records on the same basis as the subfile was built, or
    * Keep a temporary file of the contents of the subfile (in, say,
QTEMP).
this is what i was thinking of and want to learn .. using q temp probably will
help me in future,
  thanks again

Jerry Adams <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Michael,

You are correct, of course, about the READ opcode not working against
subfiles; at least I never got it to work.

Instead of requiring the user to type a '4' (or whatever), a couple of
alternatives leap to mind:

* Delete the records on the same basis as the subfile was built, or
* Keep a temporary file of the contents of the subfile (in, say, QTEMP).

Sunny did not indicate how many records there are potentially. The user
might get P-Oed at the '4' option if he's talking large number of records.

* Jerry C. Adams
*IBM System i Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice