At 5:25 PM -0500 4/28/06, Booth Martin wrote:
I can not believe the amount of resistance I have gotten from trying to
implement scroll bars on green screen subfiles.  The scroll bar works
pretty good, and sure save a lot of lines of code devoted to "position
to" screens.  I know that not all subfiles can be load-all, but gosh, a
huge percentage of the subfiles in use today have way less than 2500
records (the practical limit for a scrollbar subfile), and the coding
for a load_all subfile is all most cookie cutter code.

(For those that have never seen a green screen scroll bar, I offer these
links:

http://tinyurl.com/kczww

or

http://tinyurl.com/kjsno

Except what's better when you're trying to find a certain section of a list - typing an 'M' to get right to the start of where you want, or dragging the scroll bar to... let's see 'M' should be just about here... oops it's not. I don't know about Windows, but Mac OS X will let you type in letters to position a file list. It's very handy, and you don't have to play "guess where I am in the list".

Now once you get to the general area, scroll bars can be handy. But I would think that the Page Up/Down keys might do just as well.

   Regards,

   - Lou Forlini
     Software Engineer
     System Support Products, Inc.