Yea, forget the spool file.  Go straight to the source--the files.  A
product like Showcase (www.spss.com) makes it easy to create queries with a
GUI or with SQL that can be linked to Excel spreadsheets.  Once created
they prompt to be refreshed each time you open the spreadsheet.  Showcase
includes a report writer and security options that go above regular OS/400
security.

You could also do a direct access via ODBC.  You could do a download into
Excel format through the Client/Access download option.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571

                      Don <dr2@xxxxxxxx>

                      Sent by:                    To:       Midrange Systems
Technical Discussion
                      midrange-l-bounces@m         <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

                      idrange.com                 cc:

                                                  Subject:  RE: Easiest and
most functional way to convert
                                                   selectedspoolfilesinto Excel

                      04/25/2006 10:58 AM

                      Please respond to

                      Midrange Systems

                      Technical Discussion

Dude,

you need to think like a knuckle dragging bean counter.  They see a report,
they want it in excel, they will go to the moon to get it in excel (they'll
go to Mars if it's THE GENERAL LEDGER... :)  )

Some times it's faster and easier just to give them a utility that rips a
splf into a .xls or .csv and let them play than do add it to the heap of to

(sarcasm intentional :)

Don in DC