From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Cassidy, Alan
Sent: Tuesday, April 25, 2006 8:28 AM
To: Midrange Systems Technical Discussion
Subject: RE: Easiest and most functional way to convert
selectedspoolfilesinto Excel

CPYTOIMPF does indeed output just one column. There are a couple of vendor
products out there that also promise to convert your spool file into CSV
files but one product I checked out once did the same thing. (I don't think
it was one of the vendors who offered products hereing).

There is "heavy lifting" like Vernon said, is "getting the data out" from
the spool file, because there are your inevitable title lines and column
headings. Then sometimes you get extra little lines in between, variable
numbers of lines per record, and so on.

But with all that, some new report programs I've had to do were a lot easier
to do by writing code to extract it. A good commercial product could
automate almost all of this I think, and would generally come as part of
another software product, like report distribution, etc.

--Alan