- when entered the system, when became active, etc. You can use QUSLJOB to get
only the subsystem monitor jobs and only the start info for them.

-------------- Original message -------------- From: "mlazarus@xxxxxxxx" <mlazarus@xxxxxxxx>

Mark, That's a bit a kludge because IBM can easily change the location of this job in a future release (abeit unlikely) and I think that it's possible to disable the scheduler. There *must* be a way to detect this at the subsystem controlling job level. -mark Original Message: ----------------- From: Mark S. Waterbury mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 11:43:01 -0400 To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

Hi, Mark: I issued a "WRKSBSJOB QCTL" on one of my machines, and I can see in the "controlling" subsystem a job named QSYSSCD running under user QPGMR and calling program QEZSCNEP ... I think this is something to do with the OS/400 job scheduler that comes with OS/400 (WRKJOBSCDE and friends ...) I don't see that job name or program active in any of the other subsystems ... So, perhaps this might be one way you can 'tell' if this is in fact the "controlling" subsystem, by looking to see if this job is active in that subsystem? Regards, Mark S. Waterbury ----- Original Message -----
From: To: Sent: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 10:24 AM Subject: RE: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

Scott, So far, that's the best suggestion I've received. Now I'd like to take this a step further. We have a condition we call "partially restricted." In order to make our save-while-active backups less complicated, we shut down all subsystems that might lock objects in our nightly backup. Once the ENDSBS command has run it might take a little while for the subsystems to end. So I'm writing a utility to see if any subsystems are active that are not in a special "exempt list" and returning an "active" flag, so that the calling procedure can wait and try again a little later. The controlling subsystem should not need to be in the exempt list, since it's always exempt. My problem is, if the active controlling subsystem does not match the QCTLSBSD value I will not have a way to determine that it's OK to skip it. Since the ENDSBS knows to send CPF1053, the status must be somewhere. Any ideas? -mark Original Message: ----------------- From: Ingvaldson, Scott SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 08:12:31 -0500 To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: RE: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

I'm not sure that you can end the controlling subsystem by itself. When I do an ENDSBS SBS(QCTL) I get message CPF1053 - Ending controlling subsystem QCTL not allowed. So if you RTVSYSVAL QCTLSBSD then an ENDSBS for the QCTLSBSD value you can monitor for CPF1053. I'm not sure you even need to go that far, you can probably just start ending active subsystems and monitor for the CPF1053. Regards, Scott Ingvaldson iSeries System Administrator GuideOne Insurance Group

-----Original Message----- date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:37:50 -0400 from: "mlazarus@xxxxxxxx" subject: Re: Retrieving active controlling subsystem Mark, I'm looking for the "current active" controlling subsystem. If I do a CHGSYSVAL QCTLSBSD, then I believe that the retrieve will not give me which one is currently active, rather which one *will* be active. -mark Original Message: ----------------- From: Mark S. Waterbury mark.s.waterbury@xxxxxxx Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:03:52 -0400 To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

RTVSYSVAL QCTLSBSD ? ----- Original Message -----
From: To: Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 4:36 PM Subject: Re: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

Michael, That code works (with modifications) to get the complete list of subsystems. It does not tell me which one is the controlling

subsystem.
-mark Original Message: ----------------- From: Michael_Schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 16:14:27 -0400 To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx Subject: Re: Retrieving active controlling subsystem

Does this help? http://archive.midrange.com/rpg400-l/200304/msg00127.html You can specify the job name by replacing the '*ALL *ALL *ALL ' With what you want to look for. Michael Schutte Work 614-492-7419 email michael_schutte@xxxxxxxxxxxx ---------------- How would I go about retrieving the *active* controlling subsystem? If the QCTLSBSD system value is changed, retrieving that value won't reflect the current reality. I'm looking for this info becuase I want to automate an orderly shutdown of active subsystems, but do not want to end the controlling

*SBS. TIA.
-mark

-------------------------------------------------------------------- mail2web - Check your email from the web at http://mail2web.com/ .

--
This is the Midrange Systems Technical Discussion (MIDRANGE-L) mailing list To post a message email: MIDRANGE-L@xxxxxxxxxxxx To subscribe, unsubscribe, or change list options, visit: http://lists.midrange.com/mailman/listinfo/midrange-l or email: MIDRANGE-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx Before posting, please take a moment to review the archives at http://archive.midrange.com/midrange-l.