Mark -

Why not just store it in a Data Area, something like this:

ENDSBS     SBS(&SBS)
MONMSG     MSGID(CPF1053) EXEC(CHGDTAARA +
             DTAARA(*LIBL/CTRLSBS) VALUE(&SBS)) +
             /* Ending controlling subsystem &1 not +
             allowed. */

Keep in mind that I'm not really a programmer, I just play one on TV.

Another option is the judicious use of omits in your backups.  I once
had a long discussion with someone who refused to run SWA backups
because their company ran multiple web servers and the backups would
flag unsaved objects.  (SWA without shutting down the web servers.)
Since the unsaved objects were only log files my solution was to leave
the web servers running and use omits, e.g. ('/www/adefault/logs'
*OMIT), ('/QIBM/UserData/HTTPA/admin/logs' *OMIT) and
('/QIBM/UserData/WebASE/ASE5/SYSINST/logs' *OMIT)

The bottom line is that it's your environment and only you can make the
best decisions on your backup/DR strategy.

PS.  Looking more closely at the CPF1053 message I see that "Ending the
controlling subsystem is allowed only from an interactive job that was
started from a *SIGNON workstation entry in the controlling subsystem."
So doing this from a batch or passthru job will work, but don't do it
from the console!

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator