Still looking for my wrap plug so I can test the card but I am suspicious now of the card itself. Unfortunately I can't get the TCP or Telnet services to start so right now I am dead stick with this 170. Fortunately this is NOT a production box. On a whim, I dragged my little E02 out and connected the cable and console to it. It came up (after about 45 minutes). I get a signon screen and can log into it so I KNOW that the cable and terminal are A-OK. I re-seated the card in the 170 but no joy...

First question for anyone familiar with console issues on the list: Is there any configuration problem that would prevent the console from coming online at IPL? Somewhere in the bowels of this machine could there be a setting that is hosing up the console (I am currently IPL'ing from CD to try to eliminate any possibility of a config issue but...)

Question #2 : Any other ideas? This is really strange and if it is a hardware failure it is the first one I have experienced in the 10 or so years I have owned an AS/400 / iSeries / System i.

Question #3: The card is a 2720 (ESC and console) . Anybody have one of these laying around that I could borrow until I know for sure the one I have is toast? I'd like to try a replacement card and if it works I'll go to eBay and by a permanent replacement.

Thanks.

Pete Helgren