Just read the second article - Hahn, who is quoted in the first, says, "Something doesn't cost $300,000 unless it has some value on it,"

Now on the surface that seems a poor reason to go with a solution - it costs a lot, therefore it must be good. (Let's hear it for Anderson Consulting.) Of course, I did take the quote out of its context, which had to do with, should they buy a solution or build their own. But it still seems an odd way to justify something.

I think IBM or a partner has dropped a ball here - this agency is paying around $65K bucks a year and no one has talked about modernization to them? And this is only a 10-year old system. Web stuff was available then, and was in pretty usable shape 5-7 years ago, esp. with net.data, etc.

Pete, I hope you can talk to them - the second article suggests they were willing to review things - hope it is not too late.

Vern