From: midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of James H H Lampert
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 5:23 PM
To: midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Something lighter than a database file . . .

Would anybody have any suggestions for something that
would:

1. Be lighter than a temporary database file, preferably
living in memory, instead of on disk, and having less
overhead than a file,
2. Yet still be capable of expanding to contain whatever
data records are put into it,
3. While rejecting duplicate records?

We've got a server job that turns a single client request
for a sort of "mass dump" (cf. a SysEx dump in MIDI) into
a bunch of, shall I say, "simulated client requests,"
storing them in a database file in QTEMP. The simulated
requests then run as a batch, with the results sent back
to the client as a single response. It's an improvement
over having the client generate the whole list of requests
as if they were being sent interactively, but we have
reason to believe the database file is bottlenecking the
process.

--
JHHL