Best practices are a wonderful thing from a tech perspective, but from a
management perspective instead it might look like:

So what problem were we fixing by adding these?  None?  But they caused us
a problem?  I don't understand... ;)   Luckily, I probably wouldn't hear
that at this job.

I'm still not sure sometimes which path is better.  One part of the problem
is that at times there are too many other irons in the fire (i.e. Windows,
Network, etc.)  to be more proactive
and responsive to loading recent PTFs.  By the time the project load clears
up 3-6 months later and everything is still running A-OK on the iSeries
side, it's somewhat
hard to justify knocking a piece of the puzzle out of place while trying to
stay completely current with PTFs.

With that being said, what i'm working on right now is doing just that...
trying to get our 3 boxes more current and matched up PTF-wise... we're
looking at moving our 800 to a 520 in a few months.  I'm not sure yet if
we'll stick with V5R3 on the new box or look at V5R4.  If we stay at V5R3
on the new 520+, is it necessary to go to V5R3M5?  If so, what's involved
with doing so?

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             02/28/2006 01:14                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       RE: 'On order only' PTFs
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I tend to agree with you Scott.  Their counter argument is "if they can
run for a month or so without any problems, why couldn't they run for all
perpetuity without any problems.  Wouldn't the ptf's then potentially
introduce new problems?"
Granted, a new MCH#### error after a ptf install is not a happy day.  But
there is the potential that you are experiencing problems, and may not be
aware of it.  Like some of the "Integrity Problem" ptf's.  Or, let's say a
ptf that will help you actually recover if you have a disk failure, but
failure to have this ptf, prior to the recovery, may be catastrophic.  Or
the ptf's that will better handle temporary space.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

"Ingvaldson, Scott" <SIngvaldson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
02/28/2006 12:33 PM
Please respond to

<midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Fax to

Subject
RE: 'On order only' PTFs

Why wouldn't you just apply these PTFs for your installed products?

I understand that out of the 1000's of PTFs released in the last 10
years or so there have been at least two that have had undesirable
effects, but do you really want to wait until a problem occurs and then
spend valuable time trying to determine what the problem actually is
before installing PTFs or would you rather be ahead of the game and
solve these problems proactively?

In my mind there is nothing worse than having to do two IPLs to get up
to snuff on PTFs before support will even help diagnose a problem.

Regards,

Scott Ingvaldson
iSeries System Administrator
GuideOne Insurance Group