We usually leave it up to the users to decide on brand and model.  Thus,
we have a mix of Symbol, LXE and PSC;  both DOS based and Windows CE
types.  I can't stand working with Symbol either and urge users away from
them.

 My preference right now is the PSC Falcon 4400 for its good ergonomic
design.  Our shipping department uses them but our material handlers chose
LXE MX3 CE instead of the Falcons.  One nice thing about the LXEs is that
they have a integrated emulator program.  With the PSCs, you have to load
it yourself with ActiveSynch.

These are PORTABLE COMPUTERS with integrated scanners and they require a
lot more support than a desktop computer.  They'll be dropped and ran
over.  They're quite expensive to repair;  almost never under $500 and
$1000 is not out of the question. Users love to dink around with any
settings they can get their hands on even when I think I've got them
locked down so they can't.  There's the RF support aspect to them also,
which typically is not required on the desktop.

Bryan Burns
ECHO, Inc.

daparnin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
02/20/2006 09:07 AM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: Recommendations for Bar code scanners

Ron Adams wrote:

> LXE is also up the list pretty high, but Symbol equipment
> was always the worst and we couldn't stand working with them.

In a former life I also worked with bar code scanners.  For wireless
barcode scanners we started with Telxon, who later got bought out by
Symbol.  When that happened service went downhill fast.  Luckily, we found
a company called Data Limited (www.dataltd.com) who were closer to us,
faster, had better quality work, and at a lower price than Symbol service.

We used Symbol 960-SL scanners and did nothing but 5250 emulation to
in-house iSeries apps.  They were DOS-based but worked well.  I also
evaluated other scanners, some of which were Windows CE-based.  The
integration between the hardware and client software always seemed to be
lacking.  Our users had a lot to scan and they would work pretty fast. The
Windows CE devices allowed scanning even though the screen was displaying
message and was input inhibited.  Symbol's devices always inhibited the
laser when there was a message which forced them to read it and respond.
For that alone I liked them.  Their biggest drawback was they didn't
support DHCP.  It's been a few years and I haven't kept up on current
products.  Hopefully things have improved a bit.

Dave Parnin
--
Nishikawa Standard Company
Topeka, IN  46571