On 2/17/06, rob@xxxxxxxxx <rob@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That might work for current versions of the OS.  Would have played heck
> with earlier versions when it was everyone's favorite trick to save to
> V3R2 even though it was several releases behind.

Not sure I understand that last statement.  I just quickly cobbled up a
program that proves that MONMSG CPF0001 and RCVMSG for CPD0084 will catch
any invalid value in TGTRLS.  Started at V3R1M0 and worked through all of
the releases since then.

Are we talking about onesies or twosies here?  If so, why not export it
> out to a .txt file?  Then they could import it into whatever.

Several source files with at least a total of 300 source members.

But, failing all that, your method seems sound.  After all, how often will
> you be saving that you should be that concerned about the performance of
> that part of the save?

My test program took less than a second to find a valid TGTRLS.  So, I think
I have my solution.

  You could sort through the libraries beginning
> with QSYSV* and parse out the VRM from the library name.  That might be
> better.

We don't have any of those libraries on our system.  I guess we don't need
them.

After all how do you count up in your guessing for TGTRLS?  And
> still handle anomalies like V3R0M5.

Yeah, I thought about that too.  I would be inclined to skip checking any
Mod releases (only check M0).  Of course, if I were thorough(-ly anal), I'd
just set up a 3-digit counter variable initialized to 310, add 1 to it,
split out the digits to give me a VnRnMn value, and go from there.

So many ways to skin a cat.

- Dan