Ive found myself in a situation.  We no longer carry support on our remaining
six 3197s.  Im having issues getting them to connect, and cant ask our Business
partner to come and take a look...

chain of events:
Tuesday:  Warehouse decides they dont want one of the dummy terminals at their
workstation, so they disconnect and remove.  They say everything else was
working okay.
Wednesday:  power blip.  All terminals will not respond.

Ive tried everything i can think of, its been TOO many years since ive dealt
with them, and i had limited experience back then.  The naming convention is
DSP##.  I remembered how to print the  device addresses (PRTDEVADR), but it is
not helping me.  There are 15 devices listed on that controller.   I cant seem
to figure out on the terminal itself what port it is assigned to???  The series
of numbers at the bottom are confusing to me.
I know that Cmd23 sets the address(switch).  i have series of numbers on the
bottom of the screen..  ex:  10    4   0    3 (i blve the 3 is the switch in
this case).

Questions:

I sort of remember if the terminals were daisy chained that if the first goes
down, the rest behind are dead as well???

If that is the case, them removing the terminal made the rest go down?  why not
right away?  i replaced that terminal where it was, its still not working?

I thought that if terminals were 'daisy-chained' that meant they were defined
on the same port?  Two could possibly be on the same port, but not all 4. I
have another terminal, a 3179 on another controller, working fine.

It seems to make sense in my mind that if they are all down, there is a problem
in the line?  I ruled out a problem with the controller.  There is a printer
defined on that same controller, and that is working fine.  I have a tester
(antique looking thing, it has a switch to set to 1, 0, or 2 and two amber
lights and a green light)...  Im not even really sure how to use this!  How can
i test?

ive tried varying off all devices, varying off the controller and bringing them
back up.  I can access the setup screen on all machines, does that tell me they
are not dead?

There have been no other changes on the system.  We do a scheduled re-ipl
Sunday nights, which completed normally.

Any suggestions would be so appreciated!!!  My whole warehouse have been using
the same pc to access the system for 5 days now!!

Lynette (Nettie) Chronister
Programmer
Phoenix Mecano
Frederick, MD  21704