The Certificate Authority is the entity that issues certificates for other client side applications to use. Verisign would be an example of a Certificate Authority. However, you can set up a local certificate authority to issue certificates as well, the only issue is that if you use a local authority to issue the certificates then the client may not recognize the issuing certificate authority so there is a second certificate that is necessary to validate that the certificate authority is "real'. Your browser, for example, already has many certificate authority certificates imported into it so it can immediate;y recognize that the certificate issued by the authority is valid. So, really there are two certificates. One that says the Certificate Authority is valid and a second that says, this is a valid certificate from a certificate authority. In most cases when you set up certificates, you are setting up the second kind, especially if the certificate is from a well known authority.

However, this isn't what you are dealing with. I think you are referring to a client side certificate so that your iSeries can authenticate to the the bank. I don't know if they have a local certificate authority that issued that certificate or not, however, the FTP client at your end uses that certificate to authenticate. So I think you have to import that client certificate into the certificate store which means that you will open the *SYSTEM certificate store and then import it in as a client certificate. I opened the *SYSTEM certificate store and then went to manage certificates. That is where I saw the import option.

I haven't had experience doing what you suggest but I think you should import the certificate into the *SYSTEM certificate store. Not sure what step to take after that.

Pete Helgren

Smith, Mike wrote:

I'm thoroughly confused.  I can't figure out what I'm supposed to be
using - so therefore I can't figure out how I should set this up.
I need to do secure FTP to a Bank.  They have provided me with a
Certificate(bank_test_cert.cer)
I know I need to install/import this certificate, but I'm not sure how.
Is this a Certificate authority?
Should I be selecting an existing Certificate Store- (Local Certificate
Authority, *SYSTEM, *OBJECTSIGNING, Other)????
Or should I be creating a New Certificate Store?
I have tried using *SYSTEM and then importing, but I'm not sure if it
should be (server/Client or Certificate Authority).  I've tried both.
Both tell me the file doesn't exist(the .cer is sitting on my desktop)

I think after I get this imported, I need to assign it to FTP(is this
correct?)

If someone is familiar with his process can they provide me the proper
steps.
Thanks
Michael Smith
iSeries.mySeries.