For release V5R2 and prior you need a DBCS primary language (like 2984) in
order to support DBCS on the system.  Starting with V5R3 any NLV (SBCS or
DBCS) can support a DBCS environment.

Bruce Vining

Vengoal Chang <vengoal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
02/08/2006 07:21 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject
Re: DBCS characters embedded in Source code

You need 2984 as i5/OS Primary language. And use command CRTSRCPF with
IGCDTA(*YES), then use DBCS 5250 emulator edit source.

Vengoal

qsrvbas@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>midrange-l-request@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>

>> 11. DBCS characters embedded in Source code (David Keck)
>>
>>Can DBCS characters (literal strings) be included in program source code
>>under any circumstances?  We are exploring translation issues and
solutions
>>for possible use in future environments where the national language
>>requires DBCS representation.
>>

>David:
>
>Interesting question. Unfortunately, I have no idea what the correct
answer is. My first thought is that it would be a bit more difficult to
enter program source on a DBCS system if source couldn't contain DBCS
characters. But I don't think that thought fits with what you're asking.

>Overall, I think your best course is to store such text strings in
external objects such as message files that are created with appropriate
CCSIDs or hold messages descriptions in an appropriate CCSID.

>I.e., don't store the text in the program source. Retrieve the strings
you need when they are needed. This can mean _all_ such text, even simple
'Y' or 'N' values that you might use to compare against external inputs,
e.g., from a display file.