I've just started working for a company that uses IXS as a backup for some
servers.  Is that a good idea or not?

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Crosby <jlcrosby@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Midrange Systems Technical Discussion' <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 14:23:39 -0500
Subject: RE: IXS with thin clients

> Interesting .. so the IXS is the terminal server, and the
> dumb terminals became replaced with Neoware thin clients and
> as far as the users are concerned are now Windows workstations.

Right.

> Have you had any "environment" issues with the thin clients?
> I seem to recall someone on the list (Rob/Dekko?) express
> concern that non-twinax devices would wilt in harsh conditions.

All of ours are in office areas.  Not an issue at this point.

> Are you planning on continuing the migration up the PC food
> chain, replacing failed or worn out PC's with thin clients.
> What do you envision the ration of thin clients to PC's will be?

We may be close to the limit, time will tell me more.  For example, since
I'm using WDSC and knowing what a monster of a PC that takes, I wouldn't
even attempt it.  The other users that are left with PCs tend to be more
power users that could be more of a drain.  Not to mention - just how many
users will 1 terminal server PC support?  All the remaining PCs are fairly
new, so it will be some time before a decision has to be made.

> I had not heard that support is difficult to find, although
> my location (Southern California) may be less at risk of that
> than Fort Wayne.  Is it necessary that the support be locally
> available?

Probably not.  But because I'm a 1 person shop, there's no one to bounce
technical ideas off.  Other than these lists.  "KISS"