Damn funny thing is that this site leads me to believe that 8gb drives are
the lowest supported for V5R2:
http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/eserver/support/iseries/planning/upgrade/v5r3/planstmts.html
Load source size, April 2005
Future versions, releases, or modification levels of i5/OS or Licensed
Machine Code will require a load source of at least 17GB. Note the load
source must be able to reside on a disk drive which is 17GB or larger. The
current minimum load source size is 8GB.

But the V5R2 memo to users clearly states that a load source unit of 2gb,
or 2.5gb, (depending on server model) should be sufficient.
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/iseries/v5r2/ic2924/info/rzaq9.pdf
Chapter 1 - Read this first
Current customers only - Before you install V5R2
V5R2 installation requirements
Successful installation of OS/400 V5R2 requires the following for each
server or logical partition:
- A load-source disk unit of 2 gigabytes or larger must be installed.
Server Models 840, 870, and 890 require at least 2.5 gigabytes. If you are
using an image catalog to install, the load-source disk unit must be 4
gigabytes. This unit is disk unit number 1 in auxiliary storage pool (ASP)
number 1.

Now, I get it.  IBM left this out of the planning statements on the first
URL I posted but in the V5R3 Memo to Users at
http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/iseries/v5r3/topic/rzahg/rzaq9.pdf
I see this:
Successful installation of V5R3 requires the following for each server or
logical partition:
- The V5R3 Licensed Internal Code requires more storage space on the load
source than in previous releases. To upgrade to the V5R3M0 Licensed
Internal Code, you must have a load-source disk unit of 4 GB or larger on
each server or logical partition. For optimum performance, at least 8 GB
is recommended. To upgrade to the V5R3M5 LIC (licensed internal code), you
must have a load-source disk unit of 17 GB or larger. Before you upgrade,
ensure that the server meets disk storage requirements for upgrades; in
the Information Center, click Install, upgrade, or delete i5/OS and
related software > Upgrading or replacing i5/OS and related software >
Preparing to upgrade or replace software > Performing initial upgrade or
replacement tasks > Ensuring the server meets disk storage requirements
for upgrades.

So, if Brian orders V5R3M0, and doesn't get the V5R3M5, he should be able
to load V5R3 on his current hardware.  Then he can do his side-by-side to
his new 520.  I also saw where people with tiny load source disks are
discouraged from using Image Catalogs - which, not being able to use,
sucks big time.