wellll.... actually.... the salesman sez VARPG produces Java, and I have done it. (see screen shots at http://tinyurl.com/azj4x ).

The screen shots show both a Windows build and a Java build. The generated Java code is shown toward the bottom of the page. I don't know Java, but I am told the generated Java code is really really ugly.

Jim Oberholtzer wrote:
<snip>
The hardest part for me was to appreciate the significance and opportunities for design improvements using event based logic over cycle based logic. That may be a non-issue for college trained programmers who are used to event vs cycle, but for an old hack its an Epiphany.
</snip>

Very well said Booth, an Epiphany it was for me.. When I took my Masters in Software Engineering, the hardest portion of the entire program was getting out of my old procedural ways. Now I do all design, and to the best of RPG's ability object oriented programming. Procedures can loosely be called methods and the main program the class. Once you're past that, easy street. I did not bother to learn VARPG because I really wanted to learn Java, but I can not believe it would be a big stretch. I saw and article somewhere that expounded on how to fake RPG into an object orientation and it was a good one. The main reason VARPG did not catch on, is it was ahead of it's time. Fat clients are out in favor of browser based applications. Now, if it would produce real honest applets and servlets, I would be far more interested because I can deliver the function via a browser.
Jim Oberholtzer