Out of curiousity, does running it that way run much quicker than the full
restore does?  I would imagine that it does...

             rob@xxxxxxxxx
             Sent by:
             midrange-l-bounce                                          To
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            Midrange Systems Technical
                                       Discussion
                                       <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
             12/16/2005 03:31                                           cc
             PM
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: Disaster Recovery test scenario
             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

I've found that doing the second RSTLIB *NONSYS OPTION(*NEW) as outlined
in the Backup and Recovery guide does a dandy job.

Group Dekko Services, LLC
Dept 01.073
PO Box 2000
Dock 108
6928N 400E
Kendallville, IN 46755
http://www.dekko.com

ChadB@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
12/16/2005 02:03 PM
Please respond to

cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: Disaster Recovery test scenario

I've found that it's well worth it to figure out which PF/LF combinations
fit that problem for a given box and list them with recovery procedures so
that on a recovery they can be kept track of and doublechecked before
firing up the app.  I've seen the situation even with some large, well
written (in general) apps from big vendors.  You'd think that wouldn't
pass
their QA when released...

             Al Barsa
             <barsa@barsaconsu
             lting.com>                                                 To

             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

                                       Midrange Systems Technical
             12/16/2005 11:28          Discussion
             AM                        <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,
                                       midrange-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxx
                                                                   Subject

             Please respond to         Re: Disaster Recovery test scenario

             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

Very bad to have PF's and LF's in different libraries.  Go SAVE/RESTORE 21
does not handle this properly unless the PF's are saved ahead of the LF's.
Regardless, the save of the access path (which is the default as of V5R3)
is wasted, and the LF has to be rebuilt regardless.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

"i" comes before "p", "x" and "z"
e gads

Our system's had more names than Elizabeth Taylor!

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com
http://www.as400connection.com

             Jerry Adams
             <jerry@bwwholesal
             e.com>                                                     To
             Sent by:                  Midrange Systems Technical
             midrange-l-bounce         Discussion
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx            <midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
                                                                        cc

             12/16/2005 10:13                                      Subject
             AM                        Re: Disaster Recovery test scenario

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

A complicating factor that I encountered once was a client that insisted
upon putting the PF's in one library (say, LIBPF) and the logicals in
another library (LIBLF).  Obviously, LIBPF would have to be restored
before LIBLF.  Restore 21 may handle this, or not.

My client actually complicated it further.  A had to be restore prior to
B; B had to be restored prior to C; C had to be restored prior to A!
For the life of me right now I can't remember what we did.  But to this
day, except for fly-by-night LF's in QTEMP, I insist that logicals be in
the same library as the physicals.  Joins could complicate that, but so
far I haven't had physicals in multiple libraries for a join - yet.

             * Jerry C. Adams
*iSeries Programmer/Analyst
B&W Wholesale Distributors, Inc.* *
voice
             615.893.8633x152
fax
             615.995.1201
email
             jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Rick Aguiar wrote:

>The only impact I've seen is where objects are not named with the library
so
>you may need to restore some libraries again based on the name of the lib
>versus object.
>
>You can also just do the 21 restore process which takes all the single
steps
>out of the process.
>Rick

list

list

Scanned by IBM Email Security Management Services powered by MessageLabs.
For more information please visit http://www.ers.ibm.com

ForwardSourceID:NT00036332