Walden,

 And that is the just sort of thing I was trying to determine before I
sink any more research time into this project. Thanks.

 To recap your post: a "Java-COM bridge" running on the iSeries will not
allow an iSeries program (RPG, Java, whatever) to talk to a PC product
using the COM interface.

 At the risk of getting too off-topic, would someone be kind enough to
provide this iSeries dinosaur with a brief explanation of why this won't
work? I had hoped that "the COM interface" described a set of parameters
that could be passed to a process running on a PC but it sounds like COM
is more than that. My PC uses COM when it sends faxes to the WinFax
server, so I know COM supports communication between separate machines.
Where is the failure point that prevents an iSeries from doing the same?

Many thanks, JK