Steve, the first question I would ask of your management is:  "Why?"
Converting to RPGIV and ILE is a great idea, but that is typically done on
an "As we modify the code" basis, not as a project by itself.

It's just my opinion, of course, but the costs and risks of converting an
entire system to RPGIV and ILE far outweigh the benefits.  Redesigning
pieces of the system as it's modified to meet new requirements makes more
sense to me.

That said, were I compelled to perform this task, I would find out from
management what the expectations are, especially the expected implementation
date.

Once that's settled, I would probably begin with the user's menus.  Assuming
each distinct group (warehouse, salespeople, etc) have distinct menus, the
system's primary files can be easily identified from the programs called
from those menus.  If not, then the primary files can still probably be
identified from the menus by searching for maintenance and entry programs.

After identifying the primary files, I would then identify the programs that
update and/or add records to them.  That will give you a good idea of what
types of update procedures you'll need.

All of the programs will have to be reviewed to determine all the business
rules and whether they're being applied consistentely.  Depending on the
quality of the code, this could be either very easy or extraordinarily
painful.

In my opinion, do not even think about attempting this project without some
kind of object cross-reference tool like Hawkeye unless you want to become
insane or bored to death from the tedium of figuring out what uses what and
how.

Enjoy!

Donald R. Fisher, III
Project Manager
Roomstore Furniture Company
(804) 784-7600 extension 2124
DFisher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

<clip>
Hi -
What are some steps and methodologies you would take if given an objective
to re-write an old RPG 3 system? Management wants to go to ILE.
Some of my ideas:

1. Identify all parts used on the old system. Warehouse Distribution w/
Imports type of company.
2. Take all input screen online programs and see what parts can be written
into a service program, procedures, modules, etc...
3. Do same for batch processes and report writing.
<clip>