You guys got me scared now.

We were having a printing problem to remote printers.  I was told on
Friday afternoon to upgrade to the latest cume.  I downloaded off the
internet and copied it to the IFS.  -- Why couldn't I download it
directly to the IFS??? -- I then went home at 8ish and followed the
directions in http://faq.midrange.com/data/cache/575.html.  I did an
unattended IPL from home and everything went smoothly.

Was I playing Russian roulette with my production system?

Btw it didn't fix the printing problem.  The network guys had to update
the firmware on the jetdirects.

Regards,

Guy

------------------------------

date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:01:50 -0600
from: "Roger Vicker, CCP" <rv-lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
subject: Re: Current cume 5298

Willie,

I put this on an 800 that was otherwise current before. I used the
option 8, everything delayed.

When the system did its restart over the weekend to apply them it was a
dead duck. No TCP contact, twinax console would issue a CPF error for
all logon attempts. DST would work but nothing else.

Level 2 had me run a few things and then IPL from the A side in manual
mode which worked OK. Then they had me IPL that way again but in
dedicated mode and then in DST run a special "consolidation" function
that took about five minutes. Then IPL again normal and everything ran
OK. They said there was a certain, rare combination that caused this and
I hadn't really missed or messed up anything.

There was one PTF in each product that was damaged. Most I could do a
SNDPTFORD to download and then LODPTF to fix them. However 3 of them
were not available in any form other than CD or FTP CD image. Over 400MB
so took a lot of time to download to image catalog but then everything
was fine.

Roger Vicker, CCP

------------------------------

date: Wed, 30 Nov 2005 18:44:25 -0800
from: kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
subject: Re: Current CUME 5298

I have an open PMR on this and below is a response from IBM today 11/30.

This was in response to a question regarding doing a V5R1 to V5R3
upgrade
and the possible impact of this (my words) unstable CUME process.

"Kirk,

 There will be some new instructions coming out  and the CUME will be
respun (keeping same number however.  If, you are putting on the old
revision of the CUME, it's recommended to load, and set the three
pre-req
PTF's for apply first (SI17595 MF36693 MF36564), then IPL to B side.
Then
you can do the GO PTF Opt 8 for the CUME and groups, then IPL again.

1.  load PTF SI17595
2.  load PTF MF36693
3.  load PTF MF36564
4.  apply PTF SI17595 (*IMMED or delayed)
5.  apply PTF MF36693 (*IMMED or delayed)
6.  apply PTF MF36564 delayed
7.  IPL to B side
8.  GO PTF opt 8, loading and setting CUME and all groups
9.  IPL

The new instructions will have you do the above if you have the old
respin
of the CUME - while the new respin of the CUME will be more like the
questions.
The new CUME and instructions are planned to come out sometime this
week.
"

A follow-up with IBM on how I could tell if want version of C5298 I will

have...
"Kirk,

 I have not heard the specifics, but my understanding is that the new
instructions will have a step for you to determine which spin level you
have, but I don't know what that step is."

Again I and others have had good luck (no problems) and some of us have
had problems (me included) my suggestion is to wait a week or so and
re-order if you can wait to install it.
_____________________
Kirk Goins CCNA
Systems Engineer, Manage Inc.
IBM Certified i5 Solution Sales
IBM Certified iSeries Solutions Expert
IBM Certified Designing IBM e-business Solutions
Office 503-353-1721 x106 Cell 503-577-9519
kirkg@xxxxxxxxxxxxx      www.manageinc.com

There are 10 types of people in the world:
Those that understand binary, and those that don't.

"Roger Vicker, CCP" <rv-lists@xxxxxxxxxx>
11/30/2005 06:01 PM
Please respond to

cc

Subject Re: Current cume 5298

On 11/30/2005 12:47 PM, Willie J. Moore wrote:

>We are going to apply cume 5298 this weekend. I would like to know if
there are any problems that anyone has ran into durning or afterwards
appling the cume.