The points made here about the actual viability of the Windows oriented
saves are something we've definitely experienced... in my book you can't
really trust them as a real restore based fix.  Too much rebuilding needs
done along with them and things rarely end up being exactly as they were.

Now if you take those Windows servers and look at saving/restoring them
within the framework of the IXS cards and OS/400 save/restore commands and
it's a whole different story.  We are LOVING the ease of save/restore with
our IXS based Windows servers.  Heck, we can even move them to a different
iSeries box and get them up and running again with a 15 minute save and a
20 minute restore.  It's impressive to me how well IBM implemented a save
of a Windows box that I feel I can TRUST to be truly restorable.

             msmith6@xxxxxxxxx
             com
             midrange-l-bounce         midrange-l@xxxxxxxxxxxx
             s@xxxxxxxxxxxx                                             cc

                                                                   Subject
             12/01/2005 09:02          Re: Creating nightly full backups
             AM                        (Lukas Beeler)

             Please respond to
             Midrange Systems
                 Technical
                Discussion
             <midrange-l@midra
                 nge.com>

You programmers are right.  You can only get the *SAVSYS when the
system is in restricted mode.  Not really that big of a deal because
that only changes when you put PTFs or upgrade OS.  Do a full system
save and send that off site, at the same time make a *SAVSYS tape that
you can leave 'at the office' if it's that important.

Do yourself a favor and start using BRMS.  Every night make sure the
last thing you do is backup the object information in the BRMS
databases.  When you run the maintenance job everyday (expires tapes,
moves them from location to location, etc), you get an awesome report
that tells you step by step how to restore the system.

As a side note, ask the Windows guys if they've ever tried to restore
that *full system save* on another system?  I bet they haven't.
Windows doesn't like being restored to different hardware.  Our
Distributed Conmputing team moved to running alot the Windows servers
on VMWare just for that reason since VMWare vitualizes the hardware.
Hmm, where have I seem a system that does that for you?  When we went
to our IBM disaster recovery test, I would restore the Mainframe (in a
VM partition) and iSeries without any problems and they'd be pounding
their heads on the wall.

I don't know if you have a disaster recovery contract with anyone or
need one for that matter, but we have ours with IBM.  In addition to
the nice report that BRMS, IBM supplies me with a step by step screen
shot writeup to IPL the system from tape, selecting disk from DST, etc.

m.