Al,

I still recall when Gerstner showed up at the opening session of COMMON in San Antonio. One of the actual few that actually got to ask questions begged for more IBM attention in the education space...people have been
begging ever since...

Perhaps IBM needs to break out all those old signs that said THINK and put them back on their desks...and
right beside them put one that says LISTEN .

I've spoken with several educational facilities and have heard very simular stories...even got a interesting call once from the tech college in ROCHESTER MN...asking if they should be teaching AS/400 since they couldn't make minimum enrollment
to have classes make...but they could FILL rooms with Cisco, Windows, etc....

I think there's an 8a firm that's subcontracting as instructors up in Frederick, MD, but I'm not aware of anyone else in the DC/Bali/VA/MD/DC areas that's teaching i5/os (or whatever) as part of their program. The education community is way past the tipping point in their change of opinion of i5/os...tipping this back IN FAVOR of i5/os is going to take alot of time, resources and probably a full generation of IT management change.

People bring to the work place the skill sets they learn in school. This is what they hire/buy/promote. THINK LISTEN.

...but then, IBM is a "services" company now...and I'm sure they could maximize their revenue stream more by promoting lesser system environments that actually require more "services" due to thier inadequate design....

Don in DC
iSeries Bigot at large... :)