Okay. I've now got as far as pouring a single result set from a single programmatically-generated select into a file of the desired format, with this statement:

INSERT INTO QTEMP/WTGRPW  (GCID2) SELECT CID FROM
WTCONT CO  WHERE CO.U01010 = '1' WITH NC

and it seems to produce the desired results. It took a lot of futzing around to find that I needed the "WITH NC" to keep it from looking for a journal (dammit, who needs journaling or commitment control on a temporary file?!?!) and bombing.

In one of my experiments, I tried a "FOR READ ONLY" clause on the SELECT, knowing that's supposed to speed up the "open" operation, and it bombed with a message to the effect that such clauses could not be used on embedded SELECTs.

Which brought to mind the question:
How else would I pour a result set into my file without having to do it one-record-at-a-time? Is there another way besides what I already have? The message also said something about UNIONs not being available (which is kind of important here!)

--
JHHL